I’ve started messing around with corsets, and got a little excited about making stylized Disney corset costumes. I originally made a mock up corset with some left over grey fabric and pink thread which made me think of Dumbo. I haven’t seen Dumbo in a very long time, so I googled him, and realized he wears a little red and yellow collar thing.
So I went to Joanns to get some red and yellow fabric for my corset. I used McCall’s 4861 pattern A for this corset. I’m thinking I’ll make some grey and pink high waisted shorts to go with this. I decided to take pictures along the way as a makeshift tutorial.
Two years ago my boyfriend and I went to Disneyland Halloween Time as Tiana and Naveen from Princess and the Frog.
I made both of our costumes. I used a pattern for a basic strapless top, so I had to completely improvise all the leave parts of it. It turned out so well!
Before I added the leaves. (the bodice and skirt are not attached at this point)
After adding leaves. (the middle one is flopping down)
I just wanted to post an update on Belle’s dress. I’ve been trying really hard to finish this dress, because she wants in about two weeks! It’s still unfinished. I need to make the lining, attach the bodice and skirt, and add a zipper. Then it will be done. Here’s what it looks like right now.
For the scalloped part of her dress I used a sheer material. I used the same pattern as I did for the base of the skirt (the gold part under the sheer fabric). The pattern makes a skirt with 6 panels, to create the look I wanted I basted and gathered at each seam, and in the center front and back creating 8 panels total, which is more accurate for belle. I attached some left over gold fabric to the bottom of the sheer to create the ribbon thing that drapes around belles dress, and it turned out pretty well. It looks a little uneven in the photo because this was taken before I finished hemming it.
Belles real dress:
I know it’s not a great picture, because she’s sitting down. But this is an image from the actual movie, where the scallops end at the ribbon, which is the look I wanted. In a lot of pictures the scallops continue to the floor, but I think this is more accurate and more beautiful.
This dress is turning out much better than I could have ever hoped for. I’m thinking of charging around 200$ 230$ for it. I hope that sounds reasonable. I haven’t talked to the buyer about the price too much. And that price includes the cost of materials which was altogether about 60-70$.
The white stripe on the waist was an afterthought when I realized how short the skirt would be. I shortened the skirt because the first time I made this dress it came past my knees. The pattern originally calls for the halter straps to be sewn in the back with buttons in the front. I sewed it to the front and have it tie behind my neck.
The first time I used this pattern, I must have measured incorrectly or something because it ended up being a size and a half too big. This time the size was fine, but my lining sucked. I’m not sure where I went wrong with the lining but I seem to have more lining than regular fabric causing the zipper to constantly get stuck on the lining. The style of the dress is very cute, the pattern directs you to create a pleated overlay for the bust which is adorable but I didn’t feel it was necessary for this dress and also i’m a little too lazy. I’m not sure if it has something to do with the darts in the bust or what but the last dress I made with this pattern and this dress both have very awkwardly fitting busts. It seems like the bust is a bit wide horizontally. I’m not in love with this pattern and I probably won’t use it again.
This is the dress I made with this pattern last time, pleated overlay and everything.
I was so excited about finishing Cinderella, that I couldn’t wait to get started on her prince! The whole project took maybe about 5 days at most. I used the same pattern as last year for Prince Naveen’s green jacket, so the pattern itself was already cut, saving me a lot of time.
I wanted to make the jacket as close to the movie as possible. I found a lot of pictures (even some from the actors at Disneyland!) that had embellished his jacket more than needed, with gold frills across his chest and a red collar and cuffs. While very prince-ly, well done and easily recognizable, it’s just not true to the movie
(and a little annoying to do).
Turns out his jacket is simply white, with a gold collar and one gold rope around his chest.
So I tried to make mine as accurate as possible. I have yet to attach buttons, the gold rope, or make the epaulettes on his shoulders. I’ll post pictures when I do. The belt and pants should be a quick buy and I still have about 4 months, 5 if you include the month of october -since Halloween is at the end.
(Again, the quality of the picture is awful, sorry maybe when I finally join the world of technology and get an iphone they wont be so bad.)
By tomorrow I should have finished a pair of scrubs, so pictures and details coming soon.