I’ve started messing around with corsets, and got a little excited about making stylized Disney corset costumes. I originally made a mock up corset with some left over grey fabric and pink thread which made me think of Dumbo. I haven’t seen Dumbo in a very long time, so I googled him, and realized he wears a little red and yellow collar thing.
So I went to Joanns to get some red and yellow fabric for my corset. I used McCall’s 4861 pattern A for this corset. I’m thinking I’ll make some grey and pink high waisted shorts to go with this. I decided to take pictures along the way as a makeshift tutorial.
Two years ago my boyfriend and I went to Disneyland Halloween Time as Tiana and Naveen from Princess and the Frog.
I made both of our costumes. I used a pattern for a basic strapless top, so I had to completely improvise all the leave parts of it. It turned out so well!
Before I added the leaves. (the bodice and skirt are not attached at this point)
After adding leaves. (the middle one is flopping down)
I just wanted to post an update on Belle’s dress. I’ve been trying really hard to finish this dress, because she wants in about two weeks! It’s still unfinished. I need to make the lining, attach the bodice and skirt, and add a zipper. Then it will be done. Here’s what it looks like right now.
For the scalloped part of her dress I used a sheer material. I used the same pattern as I did for the base of the skirt (the gold part under the sheer fabric). The pattern makes a skirt with 6 panels, to create the look I wanted I basted and gathered at each seam, and in the center front and back creating 8 panels total, which is more accurate for belle. I attached some left over gold fabric to the bottom of the sheer to create the ribbon thing that drapes around belles dress, and it turned out pretty well. It looks a little uneven in the photo because this was taken before I finished hemming it.
Belles real dress:
I know it’s not a great picture, because she’s sitting down. But this is an image from the actual movie, where the scallops end at the ribbon, which is the look I wanted. In a lot of pictures the scallops continue to the floor, but I think this is more accurate and more beautiful.
This dress is turning out much better than I could have ever hoped for. I’m thinking of charging around 200$ 230$ for it. I hope that sounds reasonable. I haven’t talked to the buyer about the price too much. And that price includes the cost of materials which was altogether about 60-70$.
I was so excited about finishing Cinderella, that I couldn’t wait to get started on her prince! The whole project took maybe about 5 days at most. I used the same pattern as last year for Prince Naveen’s green jacket, so the pattern itself was already cut, saving me a lot of time.
I wanted to make the jacket as close to the movie as possible. I found a lot of pictures (even some from the actors at Disneyland!) that had embellished his jacket more than needed, with gold frills across his chest and a red collar and cuffs. While very prince-ly, well done and easily recognizable, it’s just not true to the movie
(and a little annoying to do).
Turns out his jacket is simply white, with a gold collar and one gold rope around his chest.
So I tried to make mine as accurate as possible. I have yet to attach buttons, the gold rope, or make the epaulettes on his shoulders. I’ll post pictures when I do. The belt and pants should be a quick buy and I still have about 4 months, 5 if you include the month of october -since Halloween is at the end.
(Again, the quality of the picture is awful, sorry maybe when I finally join the world of technology and get an iphone they wont be so bad.)
By tomorrow I should have finished a pair of scrubs, so pictures and details coming soon.
I’ve just finished my Halloween Costume! I started very early to be sure I would be done in time, as I am a horrible procrastinator. I don’t have any in progress shots because I figured the quality would be pretty awful so It’s not worth it, sorry. It could use some ironing, but I am VERY happy with out it turned out. Next I’ll get to work on Prince Charming!