Tag Archives: dress

my boyfriends grandma gave me some of her old clothes including this muumuu. I’m really proud of the way it’s turned out

20130306-211647.jpg

20130306-211700.jpg

20130306-211718.jpg

20130306-211726.jpg


tianapumpkin

Two years ago my boyfriend and I went to Disneyland Halloween Time as Tiana and Naveen from Princess and the Frog.

tianaqueen

TianafoxTiana

I made both of our costumes. I used a pattern for a basic strapless top, so I had to completely improvise all the leave parts of it. It turned out so well!

In progress:

Before I added the leaves. (the bodice and skirt are not attached at this point)

Tianainprog

After adding leaves. (the middle one is flopping down)


I woke up the other morning and decided to sew a dress. I really liked the way my cinderella mock up dress that I made from a bed sheet turned out, so again I used the bodice from the cinderella dress and a gathered square for the skirt. This  time I used an old table cloth and I wanted to add sleeves. The sleeves from the cinderella pattern were too big as they are intended to be gathered both at the shoulder and around the arm. I attempted to base a few sleeve patterns off of other dress patterns, but in the end I just attached a rectangle to the bodice and adjusted it here and there to fit the look I had in mind.

Image

I think adding sleeves gave me a better understanding of how sleeves work, and I feel i might actually be able to draft a pattern for some one day. Unfortunately my dress form is in my dorm room, and i’m on winter break so i’m not allowed to get into my room right now. So I had to wear the dress to model it, so it’s not a good picture or angle, especially of the sleeve, neckline, or skirt. But it gives you an idea.

back pattern front

Sorry for the terrible quality pictures.

This is (another terrible picture of) the blue cinderella mock up dress I made:

pirate


I just wanted to post an update on Belle’s dress. I’ve been trying really hard to finish this dress, because she wants in about two weeks! It’s still unfinished. I need to make the lining, attach the bodice and skirt, and add a zipper. Then it will be done. Here’s what it looks like right now.

For the scalloped part of her dress I used a sheer material. I used the same pattern as I did for the base of the skirt (the gold part under the sheer fabric). The pattern makes a skirt with 6 panels, to create the look I wanted I basted and gathered at each seam, and in the center front and back creating 8 panels total, which is more accurate for belle. I attached some left over gold fabric to the bottom of the sheer to create the ribbon thing that drapes around belles dress, and it turned out pretty well. It looks a little uneven in the photo because this was taken before I finished hemming it.

Belles real dress:

I know it’s not a great picture, because she’s sitting down. But this is an image from the actual movie, where the scallops end at the ribbon, which is the look I wanted. In a lot of pictures the scallops continue to the floor, but I think this is more accurate and more beautiful.

This dress is turning out much better than I could have ever hoped for. I’m thinking of charging around 200$ 230$ for it. I hope that sounds reasonable. I haven’t talked to the buyer about the price too much. And that price includes the cost of materials which was altogether about 60-70$.


A friend from work’s cousin offered to pay me to make Belle’s gold dress from Beauty and the Beast for Disneyland’s Halloween Party this October. I don’t have long to make it but i’ve made some great progress. I’ve almost finished the bodice, I’ve made the base of the skirt. I just need to make the lining of the skirt and the gathered outer part of the skirt, attach a zipper and i’m done. This is a picture of the unfinished bodice. I improvised the shoulder pieces and was happily surprised with the way they turned out.

My bodice:

Image

Belle’s bodice:

Belle’s dress was actually one of the only princess dresses I never wanted to attempt. The skirt was too intimidating and I could never find any patterns for it. I’m using two old McCalls pattern i’ve had for a few years. The bodice in the pattern is intended to be laced up either the sides or the front and back depending on the one you choose. This is the same pattern I used for my Princess Tiana dress. The skirt is a basic big skirt to fit a petticoat. The patterns are sold separately but I imagine they’re intended to be bought together for a renaissance fair.

The girl I’m making it for is slightly larger than I am so the patterns I’ve used so many times have been cut for my size. I searched multiple stores with patterns and could not find the pattern in her size. So I measured the distance between the sizes that were there, the distance between size 12 and 14 etc, and did the math to add centimeters to the pattern I have, so far it’s fitting my dress form (adjusted to her measurements) perfectly!  I love this pattern. I use it all the time and it’s so easy!