Tag Archives: sewing

I’ve started messing around with corsets, and got a little excited about making stylized Disney corset costumes. I originally made a mock up corset with some left over grey fabric and pink thread which made me think of Dumbo. I haven’t seen Dumbo in a very long time, so I googled him, and realized he wears a little red and yellow collar thing.

So I went to Joanns to get some red and yellow fabric for my corset. I used McCall’s 4861 pattern A for this corset.  I’m thinking I’ll make some grey and pink high waisted shorts to go with this. I decided to take pictures along the way as a makeshift tutorial.

Continue reading


my boyfriends grandma gave me some of her old clothes including this muumuu. I’m really proud of the way it’s turned out






Two years ago my boyfriend and I went to Disneyland Halloween Time as Tiana and Naveen from Princess and the Frog.



I made both of our costumes. I used a pattern for a basic strapless top, so I had to completely improvise all the leave parts of it. It turned out so well!

In progress:

Before I added the leaves. (the bodice and skirt are not attached at this point)


After adding leaves. (the middle one is flopping down)

I woke up the other morning and decided to sew a dress. I really liked the way my cinderella mock up dress that I made from a bed sheet turned out, so again I used the bodice from the cinderella dress and a gathered square for the skirt. This  time I used an old table cloth and I wanted to add sleeves. The sleeves from the cinderella pattern were too big as they are intended to be gathered both at the shoulder and around the arm. I attempted to base a few sleeve patterns off of other dress patterns, but in the end I just attached a rectangle to the bodice and adjusted it here and there to fit the look I had in mind.


I think adding sleeves gave me a better understanding of how sleeves work, and I feel i might actually be able to draft a pattern for some one day. Unfortunately my dress form is in my dorm room, and i’m on winter break so i’m not allowed to get into my room right now. So I had to wear the dress to model it, so it’s not a good picture or angle, especially of the sleeve, neckline, or skirt. But it gives you an idea.

back pattern front

Sorry for the terrible quality pictures.

This is (another terrible picture of) the blue cinderella mock up dress I made:


Since my family is jewish, I don’t own a christmas stocking. This year, my boyfriend wanted me to hang a stocking on his family’s mantle, so he could fill it with presents. We went looking for a cute stocking, but couldn’t find anything. So I bought some fabric and made one. It only took about 10 minutes or less. Since it’s already christmas eve, I figured I’ll wait and embellish it more with my name or some cute christmas-y cross stitching before next year.


I finally finished the Belle dress!!

My dress form refuses to stay at the girls height, it’s actually shorter than me, so the dress looks super long. But it looks perfect on her!

I just wanted to post an update on Belle’s dress. I’ve been trying really hard to finish this dress, because she wants in about two weeks! It’s still unfinished. I need to make the lining, attach the bodice and skirt, and add a zipper. Then it will be done. Here’s what it looks like right now.

For the scalloped part of her dress I used a sheer material. I used the same pattern as I did for the base of the skirt (the gold part under the sheer fabric). The pattern makes a skirt with 6 panels, to create the look I wanted I basted and gathered at each seam, and in the center front and back creating 8 panels total, which is more accurate for belle. I attached some left over gold fabric to the bottom of the sheer to create the ribbon thing that drapes around belles dress, and it turned out pretty well. It looks a little uneven in the photo because this was taken before I finished hemming it.

Belles real dress:

I know it’s not a great picture, because she’s sitting down. But this is an image from the actual movie, where the scallops end at the ribbon, which is the look I wanted. In a lot of pictures the scallops continue to the floor, but I think this is more accurate and more beautiful.

This dress is turning out much better than I could have ever hoped for. I’m thinking of charging around 200$ 230$ for it. I hope that sounds reasonable. I haven’t talked to the buyer about the price too much. And that price includes the cost of materials which was altogether about 60-70$.